By that time my 100ish pound backpack was carving grooves in my shoulders and hips and my legs weren't used to walking this much. I was a bit upset about expending all that energy on a lengthy detour that got us no closer to our destination. But that's when I had to reflect back on my own wilderness training. Hiking is not about the destination; it's about the journey. Truth is, we were just going to walk all day anyway, then find a place to camp just before dark. So why did it matter if it was a detour through the mountains, or through the sand of the dry river bed?
Back on the main trail, we finally came to the river bed where we found pools of water to refill our bottles. The looming gray clouds made clear that it would soon rain, but we were glad for the protection from the sun and extreme heat. We had some showers that afternoon and finally camped for the night on a wide ledge in the cliff just above the river, covered by large overhanging rocks which kept us dry as we slept.
That night's rain had made fresh pools in the large rocks and boulders of the river bed. A few of us went for a swim to stave off the ripe scent of our sweaty clothes and bodies. At one point along the day's hike the canyon curved sharply and narrowed to an impassible collection of huge boulders and high cliffs. To see that section with water actually flowing through it would have been impressive. Rather than risk it, we carefully made our way up the side of the steep canyon wall.
That night, our last in the wild, was solo night. We set up a meeting point, then as we hiked along we gradually left one person at a time to find their evening's camp out of sight from anyone else. When we had dwindled to 5 people, the leader turned to me and said, "Shall we leave you here?" And with that they continued on out of sight. There I was, in the African wilderness, alone, for the rest of the night.
Knowing it would rain again, I looked toward the cliff above me to scout out a dry shelter. Far up the cliff I found my cave which, as I said before, I was able to prepare just in time, before the rain began. The ceiling was too low to sit up, so I laid on my sleeping bag listening to the sound of the rain and watching the darkness of night slowly descend on the surrounding mountains. Alone, in a cave, on a mountainside, life seems so simple. Food, shelter, and a place to do your business--that's all that matters. The busy-ness of life and the rush of passing time slowly faded away as I drifted off to sleep.
Back at base camp, people turned their phones back on and started calling home. When I first looked at mine, I was startled when I saw 1:39pm. Not because of what time it was, but because I was confronted by time itself, for the first time in 3 days. In the bush time didn't matter. You ate when you got hungry. You slept when it got dark. We weren't bound to a schedule, and thus free to enjoy the time that we had.
In the end, Wilderness Therapy Facilitators Training was a great experience. I learned a lot about their program and will certainly recommend it and use it as an example in my youth work training. But I also benefited from the experience myself. It reminded me to slow down and look at the beauty around me, to enjoy the journey rather than simply rushing to the destination, and to make the most of the short precious time that I have.

No comments:
Post a Comment