Social Icons

Week One

My first week in country has been a lot of introductions: introductions to new people, new places, new responsibilities. I made my first visits to NETS (Namibia Evangelical Theological Seminary) for an orientation, weekly chapel, and to sit in on a lecture about Contextual Theology. I've been able to meet many of my fellow lecturers and some of the students. During the morning breaks I've had a number of students come up to me and say, "So you're the new youth guy. I work with the youth at my church. I'd love to make an appointment to chat with you." Others on staff have reinforced how glad they are that I'm here because training for youth workers is so lacking. It's making me more excited to finish all my transition/settling kind of stuff so I can dive right in to the real reason I'm here!

As for transitioning and settling, much of my time this week has been spent waiting in lines. Having purchased a vehicle before I arrived, now I must go through the process of getting it inspected, registered, and insured, which involves quite a bit of paperwork and visits to many different offices. But by this point, waiting has become something very familiar to me.

NETS is currently nearing the end of their first semester. Then they'll have a few weeks off before starting back up again. I'm scheduled to teach the "Youth and Children's Ministry" course during the second semester which begins in mid-July. Hopefully by that time I'll be mostly settled and acclimated and ready to jump in.

No comments:

Post a Comment