Social Icons

Arrival

The remainder of my travel was fairly uneventful. I slept through most of my long flights. On Thursday afternoon, I arrived at the airport in Windhoek with all my luggage and was greeted by my new coworkers, Dagmar (director of SIM Namibia) and Simon (Principal at Namibia Evangelical Theological Seminary). They dropped me at my new home and made sure I was warmly welcomed, then let me recover my rest from my long days of travel.

Back when I lived in Namibia for a year I had arrived in December, just the time when everyone was leaving for their Christmas holiday. This time around I arrived just in time for a long holiday weekend. Thursday was Labor Day in Namibia and Monday is another holiday, so most people just took a 5-day weekend and left town. In one sense it's good because it allows me to settle in before I have to meet a bunch of people, but in another sense it stinks because nobody's around!

My accommodation is a 3-bedroom flat which I will be sharing with a short-term volunteer from Switzerland (I haven't met him yet because he's away on holiday). It's a comfortable place with familiar amenities and a lovely balcony with a view of the hills around Windhoek. I've done a little shopping, begun unpacking my suitcases, and started making it feel like home. Right now it all seems very new, but I know in only a short time it'll seem so normal that I won't even notice.

The view from our balcony (click on photo for larger preview)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mike, glad to hear you are enjoying Windhoek. Are the deadly ants out during this time of year? Don't wear sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't seen any deadly ants yet. C'mon, you know me, I say wear sandals all the time, unless you can go barefoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ants?? thorns?? these things don't scare Super Mike!

    ReplyDelete