Social Icons

Nigeria, Part 2

(If you missed it, click here to start with part 1.)

I had arrived in country a few days early so I could visit a few other ministries, one of those being the seminary in Jos. They had recently begun a youth ministry major so I was interested in how they put the program together and how it was working out. So I met with Cephas Bahago, a local youth pastor who is also the head of the youth ministry program. He told me about how their denomination had just begun realizing the importance of youth ministry in a nation with over 50% youth and children. He is pioneering as one of the first full-time youth pastors in the denomination. They have their challenges, especially considering they are changing the thinking and denominational practices set in place for over 100 years, but they are certainly taking steps in a good direction.

Later I was invited to an evening youth program. Fortunately I got a little heads up that I would be the one sharing! There were about 65-70ish young people and after a few songs we spent some time talking about spiritual formation. They got into groups to discuss what is spiritual maturity. Then altogether we considered a biblical goal for spiritual maturity and how we often look at only external things, but instead we need to work on our internal spiritual lives so that we are becoming the kind of people who live naturally out a spiritual life on the outside. Everyone was pretty engaged and seemed to enjoy it. Then afterward we tried to fit everyone into a big group pic!


Another ministry I visited was called City Ministries who works with street kids, orphans, and women among others. I visited their private school with 100 or so kids. It was the last day of school so each class shared a special Christmas song or memory verse, then they all got special treats and a soda. Here’s some clips of their songs for you to enjoy.


Then lastly I visited a Muslim-Christian reconciliation ministry called "Building Relationships in City Center" (BRiCC). They say they’re not just reconciling, because building relationships is a step beyond just reconciliation. They have different programs designed to bring Christian and Muslim children and youth together to help build relationships and alleviate fear and suspicion. While I was there they were hosting a soccer clinic during the holiday break. They mixed up the Muslim and Christian kids and put them on teams of 10 to do different skill stations and then play some games.

The green team at the soccer clinic
One of the team building activities at the clinic
After splitting up for skill stations, the teams got to play games.

Click here to continue with part 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment