I had been in Namibia with a team for two weeks, but after I dropped them at the airport I stayed a few extra days to meet the people I will be working with when I go long-term. I was seeking clarity about what exactly I will be doing and confirmation that this is the right ministry for me. So as the small, white VW Gulf pulled around the corner to pick me up, I felt excited and anxious at the same time. I was greeted by a small German woman with a friendly smile and a handshake. Dagmar, the team director for SIM in Namibia, has been serving in southern Africa for the last 28 years, so she knows a thing or two about young, newbie missionaries joining the team.
Our first meeting was with the Leadership Team at Namibia Evangelical Theological Seminary (NETS). After getting our hot beverage of choice, Dagmar and I sat down around a coffee table in the principal's office with four men from four different countries who helped run the school. They immediately started firing questions at me about some of my theological positions and how I may respond in certain scenarios. None of their questions were terribly surprising and I feel confident I answered them graciously and well. Then I had my opportunity to ask about the school, their history, structure, student population, and what their ideas were for this youth ministry program we'd been talking about. They said that youth ministry has long been a part of the vision for the seminary, but there hasn’t been anyone to take charge of it. There is really no precedent for an under-graduate training program in youth ministry so I’ll have a bit of freedom to design and develop a curriculum, then we’ll work together on making it accreditation worthy. Setting the course for the future of youth ministry training for this institution seems like quite a daunting task. And with just 5 years of full-time youth ministry under my belt I will be the “resident expert!” Feeling a bit intimidated, I was reminded of that quote I had written in my journal about pursuing a God-sized vision. I’m also reminded of 2 Cor. 12:9, “His strength is made perfect in my weakness.” While it does seem intimidating and overwhelming at times, I’m excited to be pursuing a God-sized vision because then He will get all the glory!
Our next stop was to meet the rest of the SIM team who work in Windhoek. There is one British couple with two kids left at home who have been working in Namibia for about 20 years. The husband is a part-time lecturer at NETS. There is also an Australian woman who serves as the team treasurer and another Swiss/Gambian couple I didn't meet. It's an eclectic group from all over the world, but despite our different accents and cultural backgrounds we all share the common goal of communicating Christ in the Namibian context. I love what that says about both the unity and diversity in the body of Christ! Now that there's an American on the team they said they would have to tone down the American jokes, but I don't suspect that will last very long once this thick-skinned American starts telling jokes of his own. :)
So in the end I got both the clarity and confirmation I was looking for, though not exactly in the ways I expected. I had hoped for more details and specifics, but instead I learned that the details are what I'm there to figure out. I went in looking for red flags, but didn't feel any reservations about working with these people. More than anything I felt excited that this is a groundbreaking venture that has the potential for significant impact for youth ministry in Namibia. Having returned from this vision trip, I now know how to set my compass and start preparing myself for the journey ahead.


No comments:
Post a Comment